Monitor & Manage
Data and research are the keys that unlock environmental progress.
They provide the evidence that empowers us to act and make informed judgements when shaping the future policies that protect our air, land and sea.
Monitoring, analysis and management are an essential part of our environmental work. We focus our efforts on five areas:
We improve data collection and information on CO2 and Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions, while working with our partners to establish clear policies and regulations to manage emissions.
We work to protect the air we breathe by continuously monitoring our air quality and strengthening its legal, regulatory and enforcement framework.
Marine water quality
While our marine water quality is generally good, it is important to maintain it at that level for public health, fisheries, aquaculture, tourism and recreation. Our role in safeguarding marine water quality includes long-term monitoring, developing regulations and policies as well as working with the federal government to ensure its proper management.
Improving waste management in Abu Dhabi is one of our key priorities. We develop policies, regulations and guidelines to promote waste reduction and increase opportunities for reuse, recycling and resource recovery.
Groundwater resources contribute to about 63% of the total water usage in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi and is one of the most pressing issues we face. Our role is to regulate groundwater in different development sectors and tighten enforcement on illegal groundwater wells drilling, abstraction and selling.
- Our Enviro-portal gives the public access to the latest environmental data and information on the geographic distribution of flora, fauna, marine habitats and protected areas in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
- We maintain a network of 20 fixed and two mobile monitoring stations that generate the most accurate information on air quality across the emirate.
- We undertook a comprehensive soil survey of Abu Dhabi and the Northern Emirates, harnessing data from 65,000 observation sites.
- We have developed Greenhouse Gas inventories, analysing emission projection scenarios in order to assess mitigation measures and potential emission reductions.
- We completed the Emirate’s first Groundwater Well Inventory in 2018, which resulted in a comprehensive record of over 118,000 wells that have been documented in a first-of-its-kind Groundwater Atlas